It is the most common procedure performed for tubal problems. IVF success depends upon the quality of the egg and sperm.
In vitro fertilisation (IVF) is a process by which an egg is fertilised by sperm outside the body: in vitro. The process involves monitoring and stimulating a woman’s ovulatory process, removing ovum or ova (egg or eggs) from the woman’s ovaries and letting sperm fertilise them in a fluid medium in a laboratory.This developed embryo later transfered to womens woomb.
Patient Guide Lines
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) commonly known as test tube baby is a method of assisted reproductive technology in which the man’s sperm and the woman’s eggs are fertilized in a laboratory dish and the resulting embryo is transferred in to the uterus for normal development and delivery.
Reasons for resorting to this procedure:
- Tubal diseases like blocked or damaged tubes
- Unexplained infertility
- Immunological problems
- Male factor infertility
Points to be remembered by the patients undergoing IVF treatment:
- The patients will be given hormone injections for super ovulation. Each patient has their own way of responding to the treatment, which means they are unlikely to respond the same way as others. They also respond differently from one cycle to the other cycle. Therefore the dosage of hormone injections will be regulated for every patient. As such the patients are advised not to compare the test results and medication plans with others with whom they may speak as the treatment is individualized and may not be the same for everyone.
- The schedule given here is only to guide the patients and to explain the treatment plan. Time changes and other adjustments will be frequently made in order to individualize each patient’s requirement according to their response.
Preliminary Investigations and Counselling
Patients desirous to undergo IVF treatment are advised to attend our hospital for preliminary investigations during 18th – 21st day of their cycle. The following investigations will be carried out.
- Ultra sound scanning for the uterus and ovaries.
- Basic preliminary blood investigations.
During this period Dr. Umesh Sawarkar will explain the treatment plan and the proposed medications, financial implications etc., you may also discuss about your possible doubts with the doctor and clarify. The patients are also advised to give consent forms separately for IVF, embryo freezing and micro manipulation before starting IVF treatment.
IVF / ICSI Treatment Plan
After initial counseling and preliminary investigations the patient will be asked to report to the hospital for starting the treatment. The patients have to come between 18th – 21st day of their cycle. An ultrasound examination will be done to evaluate mid cycle development of the uterine lining and a trial embryo transfer to determine the direction and the length of the uterine cavity.
The IVF/ICSI treatment involves the following steps:
We follow both Agonist as well as antagonist protocol whichever suitable for the patient for better pregnancy results
- Stage 1 : Follicle stimulating hormone injection is used to stimulate the growth.
- Stage 2 : Stimulation produces more number of eggs, which are removed from the ovaries
- Stage 3 : Eggs are transferred to lab dish, where the sperm and the eggs are combined
- Stage 4 : Good embryos are put into the uterus
- Stage 5 : Progesterone support for 2 weeks
- Stage 6 : βhCG on Day 15
Post Transfer Guide Lines
- Complete abstinence of intercourse till pregnancy test is done.
- No jogging, aerobics, exercise etc.
- Heavy physical activity should be avoided and stay at home only.
- Do not take any non-prescribed medications or other prescribed ones without the approval of the doctor.
- Try to keep yourself busy in reading books, hearing music, so that you are mentally distracted from the tension of anxious waiting For 14 days.
Please Note: It is not unusual for some (in about 50% Approx.) to have little spotting or bleeding prior to the pregnancy test. The patients are requested not to worry about it since only a blood test can confirm that the period has started. After two weeks of the embryo transfer, pregnancy test will be done to confirm the pregnancy.
What are the factors
Influencing the success of the IVF procedure ?
- Do not keep IVF as the last resort but keep it as the best resort.
- Treatment should be available when you want it.
- Adequate number of eggs retrival
- Quality of oocyte n sperm
- Good embryo quality
- Accurate loading of embryos in uterine cavity
- Adequate lueteal support
- Stress free post transfer days
Get in touch
Leave your name and email below along with what you are looking for in the message box. Or you can call us at 0721-2580171, 07798023932.